Apr 20, 2009

Gift Time!

You know I love making cards, but sometimes you just want to switch it up a bit right?! So this week, I thought I would focus on gift giving. I have a few gifts to give and some ideas floating around, so why not have a go?

Todays gift... A decorated candle. I have wanted to try this one for awhile. It is so easy and quick and I am sure you will love it. First you must gather your supplies. A candle. Tissue Paper. Outlined stamp. Black Ink (I used StazOn just incase ;) and colored pencils. 

You want to stamp your image onto the tissue paper. Color it and cut it out, as you see here:
Then you want to hold it in place on the candle and heat it lightly with a heat gun. This will melt the wax a bit and soak it into the tissue paper.
Then when it dries the image is melted in. I didn't have another hand to take pics while it was melting. But trust me when I say it is coooool and it does in fact work. Be careful not to hold the gun too close or for too long in any one spot or you will just melt your candle into a puddle!
I decided to doll up the candle a bit. This is mostly a decor candle, although I am sure the tissue paper would melt fine if you decided to burn it. I just wanted to give it a little 'boutique' kind of interest, ya know what I mean?
And here is my gift all packaged up with a nice matching card to go with it. I used THIS tutorial from SCS as a guide for my acetate box. I changed the size of it and the ribbon top, but its the same idea. I also added 1/2 inch score lines to the acetate to give it a little spunk, but you can't actually see it. Maybe if you enlarge it...

I used one of Lauren's sketches for my card. This is a fun sketch! Its so great to use something like this when you want to cut gift making time. I highly recommend using a sketch or making up your own before making a card. It can really help you save time and your frustration. Even when it's your own sketch, a little pre-planning can help you make your cards better than they would have been. 

So thats it for today!! Hope you like my little nifty gifty. Have a wonderful Monday. They really aren't so bad you know...  Today the kids and I are making bird feeders for the many kinds of chirpies we have flitting through the neighborhood. Hope to get some good pictures. 

Have a good one!
k

Deets:
Stamps: Papertrey Ink Friends 'Til The End
Ink: StazOn Black
Paper: Papertrey Ink Melon Berry, Spring Moss, Vintage Cream. Bazzill Cardstock, PP from stash
Accessories: K&Co. Adhesive gems, Martha Stewart Bakery Twine, Papertrey Ink Melon Berry Ribbon, Colored Pencils, Martha Stewart Double Scallop Line Punch

12 comments:

Jeannie said...

Wow, wow, wow! Thx for showing just how easy and wonderful this can be as a gift. Your matching card is just so perfect.

Peace and Luv,
Jeannie

Bex said...

This is amazing! I love how chic the whole package looks. I think I might have to have a go at this, fabulous!

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

Beautiful! Love how everything comes together!
Gorgeous work!
TFS :*)

Vicky said...

What an awesome gift!! You gotta love that PTI set and it's PERFECT for a candle - love it!

Anonymous said...

what a great gift idea, thanks so much for sharing it, sounds like something I may have to give a go to.

Gloria Stengel said...

Very nice! I once made candles for all my friends...and one friend burned the candle and almost caught the house on fire when the tissue paper that I had stamped on burst into flames! oops! LOL

AUsome mom said...

Beautiful job Kristie! I would be so honored to receive a gift such as this. It's so heart felt and just beautiful. Just a couple of questions.....is the tissue paper the same you would use in gift wrapping? Also, when you heat it, about how long do you heat? Great, great job!!

AUsome mom said...

Hey girl. Thanks for the info. You crack me up. I WILL buy two candles 'just in case'.
:)

Dana Gustafson said...

I keep meaning to try this! Your project is beautiful and inspiring...I appreciate the tips too. I'm sure the first time through this is a little challenging. Thanks again for sharing!

*kathleen* said...

very sweet package. what a great gift!

Rose said...

What a supper idea for a gift!! will try it sometime :-)
thanks for all your sweet comments on my blog :-)

Mary said...

Great work! I love how it coordinates!


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.